MTS Nutrition Whey Protein Overview
Whey Protein has been a vogue among gym-goers, largely because of the condensed protein it provides with low carbohydrates. It is also a very popular product category in health supplements, which is why there are dozens of similar products offering similar benefits. Amidst this, MTS Nutrition arrives and promises a Whey Protein product that can beat the competition with ease. But does it really deliver on the promise? Let’s find out.
What is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is considered the best kind of protein because it contains all the 9 essential amino acids. Traditionally obtained from milk after separation, whey protein usually contains low or no lactose (a primary component of milk).
There are three types of whey protein: concentrated, isolate and hydrolysate. The concentrate is the most popular type of whey protein as it could be easily processed by the body; however, it contains a significant amount of lactose. Isolate form is obtained by further processing and contains no lactose. Hydrolysate form is already pre-digested and needs minimal efforts to be digested by the body.
There are many potential benefits of whey protein, like weight loss and improved strength. However, some side-effects are also associated with it.
What is MTS Nutrition?
Machine Training Solutions, or MTS Nutrition, is a supplement company founded in 2011 by Marc Lobliner. Lobliner himself is a health and fitness expert who currently serves as the lead of many other companies in the same sector.
Machine Whey has been the primary success story of the company, but it also produces a range of other products too.
What are the ingredients?
The ingredients of MTS Nutrition Whey protein are vast, ranging from significant amounts to mere traces. The full list of ingredients includes:
- Optimal Biological Value Whey Protein Matrix, which contains both the concentrate and isolates form of Whey Protein
- Xanthan Gum
- Natural and Artificial Flavour
- Acesulfame Potassium
Apart from this, additional ingredients are added as per the flavor.
What are the flavors?
MTS Nutrition Protein Whey presents a huge variety of flavors, for apparently every type of people. The flavors could be broadly classified into two categories.
Flavors with added ingredients that have no health impact:
- Caramel Sutra
- Peanut Butter Fluff
- Pumpkin Pie
- No Bake Cookie
Flavors with added ingredients that can have health impact:
- Triple Chocolate Cake
- Key Lime Pie
- Gourmet Mint Cookies & Cream
- Gourmet Mint Cookies & Cream
- Cookies & Cream
- Creamy Red Velvet Cake
- Cookies & Cream
- Banana Cream Pie
- American Apple Pie
- Peanut Butter Cookies & Cream
- Triple Chocolate Biscuit
The added flavors that have health impact usually contain ingredients that are not good for health (like corn syrup) or ingredients that might be allergic to some people (like soy).
What is the nutritional value?
The nutritional value of MTS Nutrition Whey Protein actually varies with the flavor, as some flavors bring significant fat and carb along with them.
For example, here is the nutritional value of a chocolate-flavored Whey Protein.
- Total servings: 67
- Calories: 150
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Protein: 25g
For comparison, here is the nutritional value of butter cookies and cream flavor from the same company.
- Total Servings: 60
- Calories: 160
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Protein: 25g
From what could be observed, protein is included as a constant in all flavors, since it is the primary reason why anyone would consume the product.
How to consume it?
The whey protein powder can be mixed with any liquid. It works best with milk (as the flavors come out better), though you can also go with water if you don’t want to add any extra calories and/or you are lactose intolerant.
Generally, the product must be consumed before and after every workout. Many people prefer taking once with the breakfast and then post-workout. Other than that, you can consume it whenever you feel the need for extra protein.
What does MTS nutrition promise?
MTS Nutrition Whey Protein offers almost the same benefits that normally all whey protein supplement do, some of which are:
- Growth in the lean muscles while burning fat simultaneously. Normally, lean muscles and fat either grow or shrink together.
- Reducing the feeling of hunger, thus ensuring that you do not consume more calories than you should.
- Improving the muscle strength of the body.
- Strengthening the immune system so that minor infections and diseases do not affect you.
- Helps in fighting cancer.
- Reduces stress, which is a very common symptom among bodybuilders.
What are the benefits?
There is generally a huge gap between what the product promises and what the product delivers. The following benefits and advantages are listed by users who consumed MTS Nutrition Whey Protein:
- The protein content of the supplement is good and can provide you the necessary protein you need in your daily diet. The overall nutritional profile is solid. There are no much carbohydrates (except in certain flavors).
- The price is reasonable and around the same range as other whey protein powders. Hence, you do not pay more for the same benefits that others provide.
- The flavors are plenty and so you have a lot of options to choose from. Some flavors like no-bake cookies and key-lime pie are applauded by customers to be great on the tongue.
What are the drawbacks of MTS nutrition?
As is the case with most supplements that claim to be the best, things are not always as rosy as they seem. Some flaws in the product are:
- The saturated fat content in the product is 2.5g, which is significant for those who are looking to shed weight. The saturated fat hinders the spike in insulin, which is required to recover after a workout.
- Since the insulin spike is hindered, the recovery period is similarly slowed down. It means that you need more time to recover from the fatigue caused by a workout. If you are a working professional, it can negatively impact the rest of your day.
- Some people have complained about headaches and bloating of the stomach after consuming the product. Though the opinion differs on this and the company claims that the product has no side-effect on a healthy individual, the possible effects cannot be discounted.
Apart from this, there are certain things that refute the claim of the company that it is the “best product” in its segment:
- The nutritional value is almost the same as other whey protein powders. Though the protein is a bit on the higher side, this is negated by the high sugars in case of certain flavors.
- Many flavors are not what they are described as, and users often complain about this. Cinnagram and trip-chocolate biscuits are particularly criticised for their flavor.
- Even though the label reads “a matrix of whey protein concentrate and isolate”, the concentrate form is higher than the isolate form. This is kept to keep the price steady, as the isolate form is more expensive. However, for people who are lactose intolerant, the high concentrate form may pose health issues.
- The composition of MTS Nutrition Whey Protein is almost the same as other whey protein powders in the market, down to the basic ingredients. It gives rise to the suspicion that the product simply tinkers with the popular formulas and re-packages it under its own name.
The verdict on MTS nutrition
The problem with MTS Nutrition Whey Protein is that it is neither too bad nor too good. The side-effects are minimal and there is no real harm that would happen if you used the product. However, the product offers nothing special either. Despite the claims, the composition of the Whey Protein is a pretty staple and similar to dozens of products in the same niche. Same goes for its nutritional value. Even the price is around the same range, though it tends to be towards the higher end.
Overall, if you are a regular person who simply needs any whey protein powder to get the work done, then MTS nutrition is not a bad choice.