What is the Bowflex Xtreme?
Finding the time to workout has always been one of the biggest barriers to working out. We are all always so tightened with our day jobs, family time and all and by the time we are done with it we have no energy or time to spare for exercise. This was a major problem years ago when we had only two options of exercising; either to go for a run or to go to the gym. Home gym equipment has helped in bridging this gap. They’ve made it possible for us to use the little free time we have working out. Home gyms have made it possible not just for you to achieve your fitness goals but for your entire family to stay fit and healthy.
At the top of all these home gym equipment is the Bowflex equipment. They feature some of the best home gyms designed by professional trainers to ensure that you achieve your fitness goals in the safest way possible.
The Bowflex Xtreme is an upgrade from the already popular PR3000. This new equipment, as we are going to see, has received significant improvements from previous versions making it possible to accommodate even more exercise options for faster results. Bowflex Xtreme doesn’t just beat the previous models in the Bowflex Home Gym series but is up there competing with equipment from other manufacturers. It features advanced specs and technology that make it an ideal fitness equipment for both newbies and advanced athletes.
Here is what you need to know about the Bowflex Xtreme home gym.
How sturdy a machine is built directly determines how well it can be used. An ideal home gym equipment for someone looking to lose weight needs to be strong enough to ensure that even the heaviest individuals can rely on it. Likewise, advanced weightlifters need a strong machine that will allow them to intensify their workouts without crashing the equipment. Let’s not forget that gym equipment usually retail at high prices some going for up to $3000. If you are going to spend your hard-earned money for a pricey equipment then it’s only fair that you get one that will last for as long as possible which means that the quality of construction needs to be top-notch.
The Bowflex Xtreme has a solid construction that delivers the needed stability and durability on any home gym equipment. The frame and all attached accessories are built with heavy-duty material that will survive everything you throw at them. The frame features a steel tubing that provides the needed stability while helping to keep the machine as lightweight as possible for improved portability. It is then finished using a corrosion and scratch resistant painting. This doesn’t just protect the frame but also ensures that it remains elegant. The main frame is painted gray while other accessories are available in black.
Bowflex Xtreme features a 2” leather upholstery cushioning on the bench for optimal comfort. This bench is also adjustable allowing you to perform multiple exercises comfortably and also to accommodate different sizes of users. There are six different height positions that can accommodate users from 5” to 6’4”.
The construction of this bench is just magnificent. The only limitation we noticed is its inability to offer 180° exercise position but even with the seated option, you should still be able to get the best out of it.
Needless to say that at just 53” by 49” by 83” Bowflex Xtreme is among the most compact home gyms in the market. It’ll only take a small fraction of your space and its collapsible designing will help you fold it and conveniently store it away whenever you want to get it out of your space.
Bowflex Xtreme runs on the successful flex-rod resistance system found in Bowflex PR3000 and Bowflex Blaze. The pulleys here are constructed using heavy-duty nylon material fitted with stainless steel bearings. These bearings offer smooth rotations making exercises seamless while keeping the rotation as smooth as possible. The pulleys are designed to do 360° rotations allowing you to comfortably do all sorts of workouts. The cables have been tested with a resistance of up to 1000lbs and hence you never have to hold back using this machine. You intensify your workouts as much as you want and they’ll ensure you get the resistance you need to achieve your workout goals. The standard resistance is 210lb which can be upgraded to either 310lb or 410lb.
One thing we loved about the Bowflex Xtreme is that every workstation has its own set of cables. This means that you can shift from one station to another without having to carry and fit new cables. This saves you a lot of time.
The following accessories are designed to deliver total body workout:
- Lat tower integrated with a lat bar that workout your upper back and shoulders
- A leg extension for exercising your glute, hamstrings, leg and other lower body parts
- Your core and abdominal crunches will also receive massive workouts from the included harnesses
- A pulley system with multiple cables provides various exercising positions
- The machine also comes with several rods and ankle cuffs
The Bowflex Xtreme home gym has three distinct workout stations. Each of these stations offers multiple workout options targeting different body parts. These stations include:
- High Pulley Station – The station contains curved lat bar and four pulleys that enable you to perform lat pulldowns.
- Mid Pulley Station – The mid pulley station allows for two different attachments each providing a different set of exercises. You can attach them above the backrest on the bar fitted to the frame. From this position, you can do multiple ab crunches. Below the ab crunch bar, there are two other bars that are a bit longer. Pulleys can be attached here in four different positions to do press exercises.
- Low Pulley Station – Low pulley or squat station has various pulleys that can be used to perform seated rows, leg curls, and bicep curls. You can also do calf raises and squats from it. The leg developer attachment can be connected to the lower pulleys for lower body exercises.
The Bowflex Xtreme home gym offers more than 70 exercises. These workouts are of the highest standards offering premium workout productivity similar to those high-end equipment found in the gym. The manufacturer has also included an exercise guide that directs you on how to use the machine to efficiently perform the exercises. Some of the available exercises include:
- Seated bicep curl
- Standing bicep curl
- Triceps hammer pushdown
- Single arm pushdown
- Cross triceps extension
- Triceps extensions
- Wrist extension
- Wrist curl
- Reverse curl
- Triceps kickback
- Hammer triceps kickback
- Barbell bicep curl
- Concentration bicep curl
- Rope Pushdowns
- Arm opposition push-pull
- Preacher curl
- Resisted dip
- Upper body opposition push-pull
- Trunk rotation
- Seated abdominal crunch
- Seated oblique abdominal crunch
- Chest fly
- Bench press
- Incline chest fly
- Decline chest fly
- Decline bench press
- Seated Rows
- Reverse grip pull-down with the lat bar
- Stiff arm pulldowns
- Crossover seated lat rows
- Bent rear delt row
- Standing low back extension
- Crossover seated lat rows
- Crossover bent rear delt row
- Stiff leg deadlift
- Hip flexion
- Calf raise
- Leg extension
- Single leg calf raise
- Standing hip extension with extended knee
- Standing hip extension with bent knee
- Leg kickback
- Reverse fly
- Crossover reverse fly
- Crossover high rear delt rows
- Crossover rear delt rows
- Front shoulder raise
- Seated shoulder press
- Shoulder shrug
- Scapular depression
- Scapular protraction
- Scapular retraction
- External shoulder rotator cuff
- Internal shoulder rotator cuff
- Lateral shoulder raise
Technical Information on the Bowflex Xtreme
- Length: 53 inches
- Width: 49 inches
- Height: 83.25 inches
Notable Features of the Bowflex Xtreme
- 210lb resistance that can be upgraded to 410lb or 310lbs
- Maximum supported user weight is 300lbs
- Offers more than 70 exercises
- Lower pulley adjusts to four positions
- Power rod resistance system
- Multiple cables for faster transmission between workout positions
- Lat tower and bar for back and shoulder workouts
- High-quality material
- Simple and quick to assemble
- Smooth resistance
- Vast exercise options
- Included DVD offers a guide on how to perform the various exercises
- The high resistance options allow even the most experienced of weightlifters to get the challenges they need to stay fit
- Multiple grip positions for various workouts
- Quiet machine
- Excellent warranty
- It’s a bit pricey
Bottom Line on the Bowflex Xtreme
Bowflex Xtreme offers one of the widest range of workout options in home gyms. The ability to increase the resistance all the way to 410lbs is also an excellent option that’ll come in very handy as your muscles grow. Bowflex Xtreme may be a pricey machine but the quality of its build and the wide array of exercises are totally worth the money. Very few home gyms can match the quality and versatility of the Bowflex Xtreme 2SE Home Gym.